Saturday, May 8, 2010

Tipsy Pot Planter

Two years ago, I found the plans for a “Tipsy Planter” in an online gardening magazine. I made one out of clay pots and enjoyed it all summer. When winter came, I left it out full in the freezing temperatures and one of the pots cracked and I took it apart. Since I didn’t get to garden much last year, it still looks like this:
104_5915
I have plans to redo it soon. Since I couldn’t find my original picture from the magazine, I googled and found this Tipsy Planter:
 
Aren’t they fun?? These are really easy to make and are such a good conversation piece.
I thought I would do a variation on this theme as a gift for my Mom-in-law. Since it was going to be moved, I wanted it lighter than the clay pots would be. I thought I would try plastic. I found these at Dollar General.
blog pics 126
Not the paint, lol, just the planters. My MIL is more of the white stone kind of gardener, so I thought I would try out Krylon’s Fusion Paint for plastic in a textured finish. The can says that it doesn’t need a primer and that it dries in 15 minutes. Skipping the primer step and fast drying time! A real plus for me!106_5921
This went on evenly and was very forgiving when I did spray heavily in a couple of spots. It dried fast and has a shinier finish than the Rustoleum Multi-Colored Texture.
Since this is not as heavy as the clay, I found this stake thing  at Walmart to use instead of re-bar to slide the pots over.  It’s plastic coated steel and can be cut easily with a hack saw. This was a 3 foot section that I (I mean hubby)cut down to 2 feet. 104_5914
After the paint was dry, these are the steps I used to put it all together.
Hubby cut a wood block to go in the bottom to hold the pole in place.
106_5922
Then he drilled a hole in it large enough for the pole to slide into.
 106_5923
It fits nicely.
 106_5924
Next he stacked all three small pots together and drilled  a hole in them all at the same time! :-) Smart hubby!
 106_5925
I shoveled  some potting soil into the bottom pot.
106_5926
And started adding plants.106_5927
This one looks like a mini Petunia to me! Inside the container, one plant was actually three! So I took a sharp knife and sliced down through the roots and made three out of one!  106_5928106_5930
I did the same thing to some Impatiens.
 106_5932 106_5933
I’m really liking it!
106_5935
I slid the smaller pots on the pole and filled them up too!
106_5936
106_5943  106_5942
I picked up a saucer at Home Depot this afternoon, gave it a coat of paint and put it underneath.
106_5945
Ready to go for tomorrow!
Happy Mother’s Day!!


Linking up here:




CreativeShareWednesdays










UndertheTableandDreamingBWS tips buttonMakingThe Girl Creative
Keeping It SimpleAll Thingz Related DIY Day @ ASPTLPhotobucketHump Day linkhttp://www.thethriftyhome.comMake it Yours @ My Backyard EdengiveawaysGet your craft on Thurs.

38 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I bet your MIL is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Your MIL will be thrilled with this. I am too! I will have to give this a try!
    Hugs and thanks
    Happy Mothers' Day
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are ONE amazing woman... I am so serious. I cannot believe the things that you do. God has truly gifted you and I LOVE watching you.

    Love seeing HIM in YOU!

    Happy Mother's Day, friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet, your mom is really going to like this. It came out beautiful. I really like your idea when you did the first one. Never thought of doing it in plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is SOOOO cool! I think I need to make one for my front porch...as soon as its cleaned off LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon, Love this! I have had this in my to do since last year and you have given me the inspiration I needed to go make this! Fabulous tutorial! Yours turned out gorgeous! I'll be featuring these today. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it. You can pick up a featured button if you like. Thanks again! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great variation on the project. This will work perfect for renters

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a really cool idea! I might have to try this out this year!

    Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills Party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is actually pretty simple thanks for sharing your instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping by from TMT - Great tutorial and adorable! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a neat idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Christine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable!!! My neighbor and I just found out next "project". Thanks so much for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love plants and I so want one of the tipsy pot planters. Thank you for showing how to do it.
    Erin
    thenormanfive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yours is, by far, the best tutorial for these I've seen. Thanks for the VERY clear step-by-step directions. Once our Wisconsin weather decides it's done fooling around, this will be one of my first projects of the season. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! It turned out so great! I need something like this!
    Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I"m so impressed with this plant apparatus.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dang girl, you're on FIRE in the gardening dept!!!!!! You're yard is gonna look like a DIY episode! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just stopping by from Make it Yours Day. The flower pot idea is great. Thanks for sharing. I plan on posting about my flowers next week. You'll have to stop by www.alattewithotta.blogspot.com to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! I have never seen a tipsy planter, too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is amazing! I am featuring it at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your tipsy pots turned out super! great job, and great tutorial!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is great! I'm linking to this project on Dollarstorecrafts.com on Friday. Thanks for the great project!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just made a topsy turvy planter as well recently. Check it out on my quilteroo blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I featured this earlier today at somedaycrafts.! I LOVE THIS!!!! Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great job and I know just the place where I could put one. Helpful pics and instructions; thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So cute! I love the way the plants can cascade over the edges!
    Thanks for sharing at My Backyard Eden!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very cute, I'm sure she loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very clever...I've never understood how to do that...I may be trying to make one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm going to have to do this!!! I love it. This is now bookmarked...LOL

    Thanks so much for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another great party!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am going to be featuring this project on my blog Monday morning! Thanks again for linking up!

    madincrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for stopping by to leave the gracious comment on my tiered planter. I am so glad you shared your link with me so I could come visit!

    Have a marvelous afternoon!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have planes of doing a topsy pot planter thingy LOL I love how the white turned out!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love it! I have never seen a tipsy planter, too cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit. I appreciate your comments, they keep me inspired! Feel free to drop by anytime!