Saturday, May 8, 2010

Easy Onion Grass

It is raining this morning and I couldn’t work out in the garden, so I had to plant something inside! :-)
I saw this project over at This Blessed Life:

I knew that I wanted to do a  grass type project and when I saw that Dollar Tree had onion grass I grabbed some last time I was there. It’s been waiting on a day with time for an inside project!
I knew I wanted taller grass and a metal container  in my finished project, so I went upstairs and shopped my “stock room” and found this metal container:
 108_0904
It’s a recent thrift store find that I knew I would use for something.;-) It’s the perfect size and shape for this project, just the wrong color.
So bring on the ORB! 
108_0905
I LOVE using pizza boxes and the round cardboard tray for my painting projects, especially when I have to paint inside! The boxes provide a backstop for the overspray and the rounds are great for lifting and turning your project so you can get all the angles and keep your hands clean!
108_0909
Looking better…definitely more like something that would work in my master bedroom.
Next, I gathered my Dollar Tree supplies:108_0916
Two bunches of onion grass (I had already started taking one apart), floral foam and floral wire. Then I put three of the small foam blocks down in the metal planter.
108_0918
I took the onion grass bunches apart to give me smaller stalks to place where I wanted them. They came apart easily and had plastic on the ends which went down into the foam easily. 108_0920
The outer edge was wrapped in a long piece of the grass, so I cut it into sections of about 8 grass stalks each and wrapped the ends in floral wire.
 108_0921
Then they went down into the foam easily too.108_0922
So I started poking the grass down into the foam. I’m not sure if I should have but I started on the outside edges to make sure they were covered.   
108_0919
I just kept filling it in til I ran out of grass and then put some moss in to cover the little bit of exposed foam.
 108_0923
     
                           Finished Product108_0924
It’s going in my master bedroom, which I will show you when it’s finished…which my be after gardening season! ;-)
Happy Saturday!
Sharing this at:








Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

5 comments :

  1. Beautiful!! Gotta love that ORB!!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now it's sitting on a baker's rack...am I right? It looks like the same one I have in my kitchen! I love it and have been toying with painting mine with ORB....

    Great project! I bought a long planter yesterday at the FOUCL Trash and Treasure sale and this may be what I do with it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute project!! I love the color you painted the container and the pizza cardboard tip is wonderful!! Thanks so much for becoming my first follower!! That made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea. What a great use for a cute find. Thanks for linking up to Saturday is Crafty Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! I just found you on my Dollar Tree facebook update. I will have to look for some of this grass at our store.
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit. I appreciate your comments, they keep me inspired! Feel free to drop by anytime!