Monday, September 27, 2010

My First Fall Meal

After two days of rain, we have clear blue skies and crisp, clean mountain air! Fall is definitely here in the mountains! While it was still raining this morning, soup for supper sounded warm and filling. My family’s favorite is creamy chicken and wild rice. It’s my copy cat of Panera Bread’s soup. I first tried it at Panera  about 2 years ago and couldn’t get enough. It was warm, rich and flavorful…talk about “comfort food”…YUM! I found several recipes online and then played around until I got a close flavor that was fast and easy to make. Here’s my version:

100_2606

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

6 cups of chicken broth

1 box of Uncle Ben’s Long Grain and Wild Rice with seasoning packet

2 cups cooked chicken

1 can sliced carrots (drained)

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

1 can cream of celery soup

1 can cream of chicken soup

3/4 cup flour

2 cups milk (I have used half and half, whole milk and 2% milk with success)

In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth, chicken, carrots, salt and pepper. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, and seasoning packet. Simmer 10 minutes. Empty cans of soup into a medium size bowl and whisk in the milk a little at a time until smooth. Whisk in flour a little at a time. Stir into broth and rice. Cook over medium heat until heated through and thickened.

Serve with warm bread like Sesame Wheat Braids

or Mrs. Cindy’s French Bread.

MMMMMM….Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! It's definitely getting bookmarked for later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a simple soup! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for it to cool down so I can finally make soup again. Maybe December??!! Thanks for sharing this recipe. It looks very good.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect Fall recipe. Doylene

    http://christianwomankeeperofthehome.blogspot.com/2010/09/tiramisu-tasty-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum... looks so good!! The perfect dish for fall weather!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit. I appreciate your comments, they keep me inspired! Feel free to drop by anytime!