Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Faux Stone Planter

Updated on December 28,2010: I am entering this project over at The CSI Project. Come on over and check out everyone's favorite projects of the year!
Visit thecsiproject.com

Whew! It’s been a very loooonng….but very good day! Our home school co-op meets on Tuesdays from 9-4 so I started there and then I attended the co-op board meeting. From there I went to the ball park for my 9 year old’s  5:30 baseball game followed by my 11 year old son’s game! We pulled out of the park at 10pm!  It’s late but I am excited about this project so I had to share…tonight! I’m tired so please bear with me if I a ramble…
I love gardening and plants…but have you ever noticed how expensive plants and containers for them are???? I like the “natural” look of stone on a planter but not the high price tags! Here’s a way to get the look without the price tag!
First, you need some black plant containers. My local grocery store gets their floral stuff in these every week and THROWS them AWAY! I almost couldn’t stand it when I heard that!!!! They will be saving some for me now….104_0709
This one is about a 2 gallon size. Next you will need some foam pipe insulation. It’s the stuff that wraps around pipes to keep them from freezing, so it’s conveniently slit and has sticky stuff on the slit edges so you can just pop it around your pipe! It wraps around the top of the plastic container pretty well too! 104_0710
You will want to cut the edges to just meet and join them with duct tape.
104_0712
Now, in less than 10 minutes,  you have a pot with a nice chunky rim. Spray it lightly with plastic primer.  I used Rustoleum. I did two light coats. I didn’t really do the inside much under the rim…it will have a plant in it anyway!
104_0713  
Then I gave it several light coats of Rustoleum Desert Bisque  “multi-colored and textured” spray paint.  It’s not as heavily textured as their stone look paints and not as expensive either. There are other colors in this type of paint.
104_0714
It’s lightly textured and looks like a stone finish! It was soo easy to paint and if you didn’t have to wait for the paint to dry, in between coats this would take about 20 minutes to do! I’m going to try one in some of the more textured stone paint next…since I know it will work now! 
Here it is complete with plant:
104_0718
My kind of project…easy, fun and FAST!
Milk Maid…your post is coming tomorrow after I get some sleep! :)


Sharing this at these fun parites:














The Trendy Treehouse






Get your craft on Thurs.

Transformation Thursday






















I found some new places to PARTY!
All Thingz Related
BWS tips button




21 comments:

  1. Sharon, this turned out so nice! Love it! Be blessed. cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. im loving this! i cant tell you how many crappy plastic planters i have hanging around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Thanks for the great idea and tutorial! Found you on the blog hop! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant, my friend! And did I tell you yet that I like your blog makeover??? Looks great. Guess you're out getting your "other makeover" today...heehee...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheer Genius!!! I have stacks of those black pots from plants I've purchased... THANK YOU! Thanks for sharing it with us at the POPP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally doing this. Maybe tomorrow. Have to bookmark this project. This is wonderful!

    Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another great party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm gonna have to do this for the same reason you did. Can I bum a pot off you ?? :o) Oh and is that Norman ???

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks great! I wish I had some more outside space so I could do some big planters like this.

    Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHAT GOOD THINKING! Oh the things you can do with paint these days! Thanks for linking up to Anything Related!
    ~Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good idea! I've spray painted plastic pots before, but they always look like...spray painted plastic pots :0) the addition of the pipe insulation was GENIUS!!! Changed the whole look of it! I'll definitely give this a shot! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a great idea! You are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Incredibly creative. You are one crafty lady, Sharon. Thank you for linking to the Boardwalk Bragfest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy cow. What a clever idea! My husband brought a cast off hunter green plastic pot home from a clients house last week and I know he has some of that pipe insulation laying around. Wow, am I glad you joined the party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! I love to spray paint just about anything and didn't even realize you could paint plastic that easily. My kind of project-easy and good looking.

    Thank you so much for linking to Woo Hoo! Wednesday at Always Nesting and joining the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for linking up to my blog party! still loving this. maybe if we ever stop getting rain/snow i could plant something out side

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool! What a great idea!? Now if only IO had a green thumb...

    Blessings,
    Ginger
    SSB

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for linking to Flaunt it Friday! Cool transformation. I love spray paint! Easy and cheap makeover is always a good thing. :)

    Please come back this week to Flaunt it on Friday!

    PS: I'm your newest follower.:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha, this is super creative! I just love it - thanks for linking up to Be Inspired last week!

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit. I appreciate your comments, they keep me inspired! Feel free to drop by anytime!