Thursday, March 4, 2010

Lamp Makeover and "Hope" for a Friend

Today I spent most of the day trying to rid one of our computers of a virus. No fun and NO success! :( Anyone familiar with removing xp antispyware2010?

So I started backing everything up in case we have to reinstall Windows. While that was going on, I figured I would do something that would be more rewarding! I finished up two projects that have been lingering since Christmas or a little before.
The first one is a gift for a friend who has been going through a difficult time since last summer. After attending a ladies lunch where she received a table favor with the the word "hope" she told me that was going to be her word for the new year. I had just finished visiting several blogs that inspired me to do a project for her. This Wisteria shadow box knock-off and some framed letters to spell summer at Tatertots and Jello. I also saw some great pedestal projects at Shanty2Chic. When I started this project, I didn't think to take before pictures, so here is a finished product along with what I used.


I used a candlestick and a 5x7 frame from the thrift store. I painted them both Krylon satin black. I found a "hope" Christmas Ornament at Dollar General but it was red, so I painted it satin black too. I had intended to tie ribbon to the "hope" and suspend it inside the frame like the cross in the Wisteria shadow box, but it just wasn't coming together that way. I noticed that "hope" stood out really well against white, so I got out a piece of white textured scrapbook paper and used the 3D dots to mount the hope ornament. It stands out a little giving it more dimension. I tried taking a close up, but you still can't see the texture of the paper. :( I put the frame back together and glued the the finial on top. My hubby drilled a hole into the candle holder and put a screw down in it so I could screw the frame down onto it. It's finally finished and I'm going to deliver it tomorrow!

I'm linking this up to:



I also finished up a pair of lamps that I picked up a the thrift store before Christmas. Again I don't have a true before picture because I didn't know I'd need one when I started them! The metal base was originally a shade of brown that had been sprayed over an ugly gold. There is a wooden insert near the top that was just natural wood. I Krylon's Oil Rubbed Bronze on the metal and Rustoleum's satin Espresso on the wooden insert .

Then the poor things sat waiting for just the right shades. I found them at the thrift store, but didn't want to pay $3.50 a piece for them....so they had to wait a little more...for another week until the blue tags went to 1/2 price! The shades were still there when I went back, so I brought them both home for the price of one! I love the shape and I was going to leave them black but when I pulled the tags off, some of the black too..:( So I cut inserts from some scrapbook paper and used spray adhesive to glue the paper down.
I also had to buy some adapters. These must have had shades that just clipped on the bulb and the new ones didn't. I didn't even know that they made such a thing but you can buy them at Home Depot and they go on easily!



Here they are...all dressed up and no place to go...my bedroom isn't finished being overhauled yet! Maybe by the middle of next week they will be in their new home.




I'm gonna link these up to :




Hoping for a computer fix tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE the hope thing... If we have a girl I'm gonna need you to make her one similar. I'll tell you my nursery decor idea later. The lamp shades are beyond awesome !! Truly unique and inspired. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hope thing! I'll have to keep that in mind. :)

    Shannon and I should do lamp renovations, we both need some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney, you guys have plenty of thrift stores down there, I bet you can find some great ones to "transform"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry...I didn't get mine up. Maybe NEXT week? Love what you've done, though and again, I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both of your projects.. They turned out great...

    Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. Please join me next week for another great party.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit. I appreciate your comments, they keep me inspired! Feel free to drop by anytime!