Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas Candy “Machine”

I didn’t  post a teaser about this project yesterday, but I was so excited about how it came together that I had to share it first! My inspiration for this came from A Pumpkin and A Princess’s Fall Candy Jar:

I thought it was adorable!! I really wanted to make one, but I was thinking more along the lines of a traditional gumball machine in red, and maybe even on a stand. Then, I found this  glass bowl at the thrift store and knew I had to do one!
  100_9260
It is a little bigger than the “ivy” bowls or very small fish bowls, so I got an 8” clay pot and 6” clay saucer. I already had a wooden bead for the top…thank you favorite thrift store! I let my idea set for a while because I wanted to find a way to make it more realistic with a “knob” and “flap”. When I was cleaning out my utility room, I found this small handle that had broken off of something and knew it would be perfect for a knob.
 100_9262
The final ingredient came to me when I was thrifting with my niece (Hi Melissa!! ) over Thanksgiving. Here is the “stand”.
SDC10017 
I just love it when things come together like that!! I gave the clay and wood a couple of coats of red spray paint and the knob a coat of Krylon’s Matte Nickel.  When everything was nice and dry, I glued the knob on with Gorilla Super Glue.
SDC10006 (2)  SDC10009 (2)
Then I used a silver Sharpie to draw on the “flap”.
SDC10010 (2)         SDC10011
When everything was dry, I put them together with a little Gorilla Glue.
SDC10013
I filled it with starlight mints and put the lid on!
SDC10019
The Clay pot fit right down over the top of the candle stand. Perfect fit!
 SDC10018
I think I will fill it with red and green Christmas M&M’s when my grandsons come for Christmas! MMMM……





This was so easy to put together and looks so cute when it’s finished! My teenage girls were giggling……”awww it’s a gumball machine!” :-)


      ********Mr. Gumball Machine made the Top 10 at the CSI Painted Holiday Project*******

Thank you folks at The CSI Project  for the honor and thank you to A Pumpkin and A Princess for inspiring me!
I will be sharing this at some of the weekly parties in my side bar and the special events listed below. Click on a few of them and find lots more fun ideas!










Get your craft on Thurs.


I'm entering this at The CSI Project:
Visit thecsiproject.com


And at the DIY Project
DIY Club


HookingupwithHoH

UndertheTableandDreaming





Photobucket








I found some new places to Party!




Xmas button









Fantabulous Friday!


Catch As Catch Can












Some Holiday Parties





Home for the Holidays Party










28 comments:

  1. That's very cute! Love the idea of putting Christmas candy in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm so impressed! You never would know by looking at it what it used to be, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! So adorable!! And what a cool idea for the holidays!!
    Well done!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking this up. Your knob turned out just perfect! I love these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon,
    Just too cute!!
    I love it!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very FUN! Everyone will love it! Happy holidays! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love gumball machines! That is so cute. great job.
    thanks for linking up and linking back,
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen this before...so cute!

    If you have a minute...I started a new link party Creative Juice Thursdays...

    I'd love if you could stop by and add this "gumball machine"

    http://momnivoresdilemma.blogspot.com/2010/12/link-up-party-with-creative-juice.html

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute! I love it!

    I just found your blog through one of the Friday Blog Hops! Have a great weekend.

    Amanda @ http://nutritionistreviews.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so cute and creative! I have all the materials to make this and I know a few kids that would love it. It's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's just awesome! I love your twist on the project, from the color to the realistic details to the stand! You made a real conversation starter out of junk, and it's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a totally awesome idea. I am so going to have to file this one away to do one day.

    Found you via Craft Friday

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, how clever you are!! That is just adorable! I have a bubblegum cookie jar (which is only full of dog treats). But this is just so cute I have to try it myself! Thanks for the tutorial. Love the bright red too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. TOTAL CUTENESS! I WANT ONE!!! I love how you used what you had. My favorite thing to do! I'll have to go and dig through my garage and see what I can find. Thanks for the fun ideaQ

    Jennie @ CInnaberry Suite

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your idea of putting candy in yours since I hate gum. However, the gumball machine brings back memories of one of my childhood piano teachers. She was an older woman who kept this huge gumball machine in her kitchen. After we kids had our lesson, she would give us change to "buy" 2 gumballs out of her machine to enjoy on the way home. I didn't like gum, so I either spit mine out or gave it to my brother or my best friend. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  17. found your link over at the trendy treehouse!

    this gumball machine is AWESOME!! what a great idea--i love how every piece came together almost accidentally. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome! When I first saw the pic, I thought it really was an actual gumball machine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beyond Fabulous! I want one! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cool! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this!

    Newest follow on GFC, Check us out at
    http://closertolucy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is so CUTE. I may have to make one for B'day parties for my kiddos.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  23. FABULOUSO Sharon!!!!! Thanks so much for linking it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am trying to make the gumball machine from clay pots and I am running into a problem with the lid(saucer). The lid just sits on the top of the bowl and I am afraid that it will easily slip off. Any suggestion? Please help. I love yours. Great idea.

    ninacooper08@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit. I appreciate your comments, they keep me inspired! Feel free to drop by anytime!